Staff Senate Membership Details
- Candidates must have worked at UNT at least 1 year by the beginning of the term (after the conclusion of the Spring Semester).
- Candidates must not occupy a role above Executive Director at the time of the election.
- Candidates must be benefits-eligible as determined by HR.
- Candidate must have supervisor approval to serve the remainder of the term they are assuming. Supervisors can submit their approval here: staffsenate.unt.edu/supervisor-approval-form.
- Candidate must be available for the monthly General Assembly meeting on the second Tuesday of each month from 3-5pm and generally have another 1-2 hours of availability per month to volunteer for events, meet with constituents, or have supplementary committee meetings, as necessary.
- Service Details
- Attend monthly General Assembly meetings — Learn about current initiatives that may impact staff, report on the concerns of constituents, and create legislation to improve the staff experience.
- Communicate with constituents — Share what they have learned about the university with their colleagues and regularly seek feedback regarding the issues they want the Senate to address.
- Serve on one Staff Senate Standing Committee — Each Senator serves on a standing committee which meets during the monthly Senate meetings: Staff Success, Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion, Bylaws and Elections, or Communications and Public Relations. More information can be found on the committee page.
- Senators serve up to two consecutive two-year terms before entering a mandatory one year 'roll-off period,' during which they are ineligible to run again. Senators will be notified when they are up for election and must win their seat again to serve a second consecutive term, though Senators are welcome to serve a single term and choose not to immediately run again.
- Election Details
- Candidates may nominate themselves or be nominated by any other professional UNT staff member. That form and details about which administrative units are available on the General Elections page.
- Nominees can find a checklist to ensure they've completed all necessary components of the nomination process at staffsenate.unt.edu/nominee.
- Email the Staff Senate Election Board at StaffSenateElections@unt.edu with any questions.
Staff Senate Nominations & Elections
General Elections are held once per year at the end of the Spring semester to fill any seats opening at the end of the term (end of the Spring semester of the same year). For more information about the current General Election and how to nominate yourself or a colleague, please visit the General Election page.