Staff Senate Membership Details
- Candidates must have worked at UNT at least 1 year by the beginning of the term (9/1 in normal elections).
- Candidates must not occupy a role above Executive Director at the time of the election.
- Candidates must be benefits-eligible as determined by HR.
- Candidate must have supervisor approval to serve the remainder of the term they are assuming. Supervisors can submit their approval here: staffsenate.unt.edu/supervisor-approval-form.
- Candidate must be available for the monthly General Assembly meeting on the second Tuesday of each month from 3-5pm and generally have another 1-2 hours of availability per month to volunteer for events, meet with constituents, or have supplementary committee meetings, as necessary.
- Service Details
- Attend monthly General Assembly meetings — Learn about current initiatives that may impact staff, report on the concerns of constituents, and create legislation to improve the staff experience.
- Communicate with constituents — Share what they have learned about the university with their colleagues and regularly seek feedback regarding the issues they want the Senate to address.
- Serve on one Staff Senate Standing Committee — Each Senator serves on a standing committee which meets during the monthly Senate meetings: Staff Success, Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion, Bylaws and Elections, or Communications and Public Relations. More information can be found on the committee homepage.
- Senators serve up to two consecutive two-year terms before entering a mandatory one year 'roll-off period,' during which they are ineligible to run again. Senators will be notified when they are up for election and must win their seat again to serve a second consecutive term, though Senators are welcome to serve a single term and choose not to immediately run again.
- Election Details
- Candidates may nominate themselves or be nominated by any other professional UNT staff member. That form and details about which administrative units are available on the General Elections homepage.
- Nominees can find a checklist to ensure they've completed all necessary components of the nomination process at staffsenate.unt.edu/nominee.
- Email the Staff Senate Election Board at StaffSenateElections@unt.edu with any questions.
Staff Senate Nominations & Elections
General Elections are held once per year at the end of the Spring semester to fill any seats opening at the end of the term (8/31 of the same year). For more information about the current General Election and how to nominate yourself or a colleague, please visit the General Election homepage.
Special Elections are only held when a vacancy occurs during a Senator's term and a runner up from the prior election is not available to fill their seat. For information about any active Special Elections, please visit the Special Election homepage.